Monday, May 2, 2011

Let's start at the very beginning...

Justin and I dated for several years before we decided to get married. We had decided to start trying to have children a few months after we were married. I am a planner and had a grand plan for my pregnancy and delivery. I found a wonderful midwife who I felt in sync with. Justin and I went into this planning to try for a few months with no real expectations of actually getting pregnant, well God had other plans for us. I had a feeling that I was pregnant earlier in the week as I just did not feel right but took a few days off from work thinking I had a mild case of the flu. After noticing that my nausea went away if I lightly snacked all day long, the light bulb went on in my head. We found out on Super Bowl Sunday that we were pregnant! We were excited but terrified at the same time. I had had a cone biopsy on my cervix a few years prior to meeting Justin. We knew that there was a possibility that we may not even be able to get pregnant if there was too much scar tissue in the way. There was also a possibility of having a premature baby if my cervix was weakened too much from the surgery. The doctors did not know how things would go and plans were made that once I got to my second trimester I would be watched closely for signs that my cervix was changing.
My fist trimester went really well. After a week and a half of mild nausea I felt great. I remember having cravings for hummus and peppermint tea. I was working full time as a pediatric occupational therapist, and one of the other therapists was due two weeks before me. It was nice to have other pregnant women around me that I could discuss things with. It was such a happy and exciting time for Justin and I.
I had made no secret of the fact that once I had my child I would be staying home and no longer working. I was looking forward to doing all the things that stay at home mommies do. I was confident that things would go well. I signed up for child birth classes and my husband signed up for Daddy boot camp, all starting in August since I was due in October. We never made it to those classes.

3 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful Jean! So wonderful! I'm sure you will touch many lives with your hard & beautiful journey. : ) Kudos, woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific way to look at the journey of parenthood. I'm sure things look different now that you have a little more "free" time to reflect on the times/events surrounding the addition of Oliver to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hooked!! What a great outlet for your thoughts and feeling as well as a great resource for others in a similar situation!
    Such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete