Friday, June 10, 2011

Perhaps I should stop watching documentaries

My husband and I recently subscribed to Netflix and I am addicted.  I love finding all these documentaries and I cannot get enough of them.  Well last night I found The Business of Being Born.  It was a movie I had been wanting to watch for awhile.  I thought it was a great piece of work with a lot of good information.  I was not prepared for all the memories that washed over me when I was watching it.  It brought me back to the place I was a year ago, pregnant and planning on an unmedicated, midwife assisted birth.  As I sat there I couldn't help but feel a sense of grief over the way my birth happened and all future births will have to happen.
I totally identified with the woman in the film who wanted a home birth and ended up with a section due to her baby being breech.  Her baby ended up in the NICU due to growth restriction.  She discussed her struggles with bonding and difficulties with breastfeeding.  It was refreshing to hear someone give voice to those feelings that so many of us NICU mamas feel and don't talk about. Breastfeeding in the NICU is EXTREMELY difficult.  I will get into that in a different post.
Don't get me wrong, I know that the only way Oliver was coming out was through my abdomen.  I am not in denial about the seriousness of the situation that caused him to be born that way.  I know that it was written in the stars that this was the path he had to take to come into this world.  If he had arrived any other way then he would be a different person.  Due to the type of incision I had to have all future babies will have to be sections as well.  Sometimes I feel like I almost have to justify why I had a section.  I have to remind myself periodically that there was no other option.  Positionally there was no way he was coming out and his butt was acting much like a cork in a bottle.
I have already written about how I let my fear get in the way of making better decisions.  I know so many women who let fear guide them in their decisions about their birth plans.  As a society we let fear influence a majority of our decisions.  Fear of pain, fear of being sued, fear of the reactions of others, fear of the unknown, fear of loss of control.  It is a shame that we as a country have go so far away from letting women's bodies do what they were designed to do.  Sometimes you can intervene too much.  It was not that long ago (my mother's generation) that women were tied down during labor.  Talk about not being helpful and how degrading. 
So perhaps the medical community needs to take a deep breath and take a step back and support women in their decisions to have a more natural experience.  As a society we should be preparing women more for labor to help take some of the fear away from giving birth.  I remember discussing birthing classes with my midwife and she told me that the one offered through the hospital was more designed to teach women how to be good patients and not how to birth.  I feel there is something very wrong with the fact that a "birthing class" would not properly prepare a woman to give birth. 
As a society we seem to be losing touch with the natural rhythms of our bodies.  Births are primarily done in a hospital setting on a strict timeline.  Breastfeeding is still not fully considered the norm.  Look at it this way if there were no doctors or hospitals babies would still be born.  If there was no more formula, babies would still be fed. 
Okay stepping down off the soapbox now.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I just wanted to share that I saw your blog on a babycenter preemie forum and I am with you - 5 weeks bedrest, son born at 28 weeks in April 2011, I understand the struggle with anxiety as well as the rewards. I am going to enjoy the read : ) I have a blog too - http://lesacollins.blogspot.com/

    Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete