Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Does time REALLY heal all wounds?

In two short days Oliver will be 11 months old.  I keep thinking about how I am feeling.  Yes, the acute phase of the "wound" is over.  BUT there is still pain associated with it, especially when someone pokes at it.  I find myself thinking of how a wound heals thin scab, thicker scab, pink new skin, and finally a firm scar.  I think right now I am in between the thin scab and the thick scab.  When you push on it or pick at it, it hurts and sometimes bleeds.  Yesterday I found my "wound" bleeding a bit.  I was looking through a catalog of cloth diapers and all the babies were super cute and super chubby; typical Gerber babies.  Some were so chubby that they looked like the Michelin man.  I always thought that I would have one of those babies.  Let me tell you that my genetic pool is filled to the brim with big, strong, German stock.  Yes, I know that Oliver still has the potential of truly expressing those genes.  It is just hard to see that when he still fits nicely into 3/6 month shirts, he does wear 9-12 month pants but only because we use cloth diapers so his bum is fluffy.  Just a warning, if one more person tells me that I am lucky because Oliver will get the chance to wear out his clothes, I will scratch your eyes out.  I did laugh a bit when his pedi told me to limit his formula intake so that he would eat more solids.  Personally, I feel that Oliver eating some extra calories is not going to harm him.  I make his food and I try and give him higher calorie foods, not that he always eat them.   
I was reading the Baby 411 book last night and there is a section about preemies in there.  I am seriously, seriously hoping that what I read was a typo.  The author wrote that parents should not worry since most preemies catch up to their peers by the time they are 1 year old!!!  Ummmm....Most preemies I know barely catch up by the time they are 2 years old.  It has been my observation that more of the preemie population catch up by the time they enter kindergarten.  Some of the micro preemies take even longer, and some do not catch up at all.  It is the general rule of thumb that preemies are given a cushion for looking at their development until they are 2 years old.  After working in peds for 8 years I found that for preemies born before 30 weeks that 2 year mark is not enough.  We have to take into account that when this magic cushion was put in place micro preemies did not survive.  As an OT I had many discussions with parents of preemies about how once their baby turned 2 they may suddenly see a significant delay on paper.  Most of these children did keep following their own developmental curve so in fact I feel they were not actually delayed.  Perhaps we as a population need to take another look at how we evaluate  the developmental milestones of our preemies.  Is it really fair to assume that a baby born at 34 weeks and a baby born at 24 weeks will both acquire 2 year old skills at the same time?  The answer is simple, NO.  It is my hope that in the near future the medical community will acknowledge this and make some changes.

So I am wondering, how much time will it take to heal my wound?  I operate under the assumption that the larger the wound the longer it will take to heal.  Some wounds never fully heal and some heal on the surface but still cause pain.  I worry that this wound will keep reopening and will never fully heal.

5 comments:

  1. When Emery was born there was a part of me that just wanted to take him home so that I could pretend that nightmare never existed. Unfortunately, every day is reminder that that nightmare did, in fact, exist, but it no longer owns me. I still get a tinge when someone gets pregnant. I still feel a little sadness when someone gets pregnant and gives birth with impunity. I have a hard time in group conversations when people tell their birth stories and talk about their children's escapades. My life is utterly and completely different. As a mother, there are times that I do not feel a part of the 'mommy' club. These are the constant reminders, the remainder of my scar. Just like a scar, in some places I am numb. In others, I am more tender. This life with become your new normal and there is beauty in it.

    Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, your post is making a post of my own brew in my head .... do you mind if I link to you on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah. You certainly may link my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cringe every time I read the nonsense about catching up by two. The MOD and other groups trot that mantra out as if it were a medical certainty. The best advice I got on catching up, was that you should give your child at least a year for every month in the NICU but recognize that as they are required to perform more complex tasks as they age, you may not see the full result of their prematurity until school age, 8 or so.

    As to wound healing, Eliza is now five and I am truly one of the lucky ones in that her issues are mild and/or manageable and she will be able to be in a mainstream school in an integrated class. But despite that there are still times that the scar opens up a bit. It is often triggered by my almost physical reaction to a woman who is 36 weeks pregnant wishing she could "get it over with" or when another child has trouble understanding Eliza and asks "what's wrong with her." But then all you can do is go get out your box of Hello Kitty band aids, take a breath and try to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my first time reading your blog, but I already see we have much in common. My son was born at 23 weeks (he's 17 months now), and we also cloth diaper & make his food.
    My wounds are definitely still there, but they are healthing, slowly.
    Because many people don't know my story, they ask me if I will have another baby all the time. It's so hard to just vaguely answer, "I hope so," when inside I am thinking, "I want to but I am SO SCARED to go through that again." I went to therapy last year to deal with the trauma of my son's birth and it was helpful to have someone validate everything I was feeling and help me talk through it. Those of us who go through something like this really do have a form of PTSD. I mean, what's more traumatic than the sudden premature birth of a child followed by months of not knowing whether he will live or die?

    ReplyDelete